An open letter to the community from Zelda's Restaurant & owner, Zelda Angelfire On Saturday, June 16th at approximately 2:45am a fire broke out at Zelda's in the main floor restaurant.
The likely cause was electrical, and no, Zelda did not leave her hair dryer plugged in!
Thankfully there was no-one in the building at the time and no injuries. Damage to the restaurant & building was very extensive and will require a complete gutting and clean-out even before renovations can commence.
This is expected to take several months. This has been a difficult and stressful time for myself and my absolutely fabulous staff, many of whom have worked with me for years and have become dear friends. My heart goes out to all of them.
I would like to thank and acknowledge the truly overwhelming support that has come from the community, customers, individuals and fellow businesses. Your offers of condolence and assistance through calls, emails and on Facebook have been wonderful.
This is even more poignant with Pride coming up so soon. This is the third location for Zelda's since we first opened on Wellesley Street in 1997 and the third time the business has been built from the ground up.
Unfortunately due to the capital and energy required to start all over again we have regrettably decided not to re-open.
Zelda's has had an incredible run over the past 15 years and touched the lives, I hope in a good way, of so many people. It's been an absolute blast for us to be a part of and to have served this amazing community.
And who knows? Maybe these heels will pound the pavement again sometime!